Emergencies: Call 911

Non-Emergency & General Inquiries: (902) 563-5151

Serving With You - For You

We serve and protect for safe and healthy communities through leadership, partnerships and engagement and we believe in maintaining law and order through: ethics and professionalism, accountability and transparency, inclusion and diversity, and collaboration and community spirit.

Media Releases

At approximately 1:30 AM, patrol officers on Inglis Street observed a vehicle drive through a Stop sign at Cape Breton Street and proceed onto Inglis Street where it increased speed and drove through a second Stop sign at the intersection of Terminal Road.

Police activated their emergency equipment to pull over the vehicle – a  KIA Sportage – which finally stopped at the intersection of Inglis and Prince Streets. As one officer approached the vehicle, the driver fled, turning onto Prince Street. Police pursued the vehicle at a safe speed and distance, which traveled onto Mitchell Place, Prince Andrew Drive and then George Street, where it turned into the parking of the Sydney Curling Club to evade the patrol officer’s second attempt to stop it. Additional patrol vehicles were called to assist. The KIA hit a sign and two parked vehicles before exiting onto Townsend Street to High Street and Whitney Avenue, through a number of Stop signs, and then onto Davenport Road, where it struck two vehicles and eventually lost control, going off the road through a large hedge and into another vehicle and the front porch of a house.

Police approached the vehicle which contained 2 male occupants and arrested both without incident. EHS attended the scene and transported both to Cape Breton Regional Hospital for assessment of minor injuries. There were no other injuries as a result of this pursuit.

The driver showed signs of impairment, and police continue to investigate with assistance from the Traffic Safety and Forensic Identification Units. The suspect vehicle has been seized; charges are pending.

UPDATE: The 34-year-old driver of the vehicle - James Darren Clarke of Sydney - is charged with: Flight from Police Officer, Dangerous Operation of a Motor Vehicle, Mischief (x3),  and two Breaches of Probation. The second male – a passenger in the vehicle – arrested at the scene, was released without charges.