Cape Breton Regional Police share holiday safety tips
- Stay alert to your surroundings while shopping.
- Be extra careful if you are carrying a wallet or purse.
- Avoid carrying large amounts of cash.
- Notify the credit card issuer immediately if your credit card is lost, stolen or misused.
- Keep a record of all of your banking information and receipts in a safe place at home.
Automated Teller Machine (ATM)
- If you’re using an ATM, choose one that is located inside a mall or a well-lighted location.
- Protect your PIN by shielding the ATM keypad from anyone who is standing near you.
- Withdraw only the amount of cash you need.
- Be sure to lock doors and windows when you leave the house, even for a few minutes.
- If you’re leaving home for an extended amount of time, have a family member or friend watch your house and pick up your newspapers/mail.
- Leave a light and a radio/ television on so the house looks occupied.
- Don’t leave gifts under the tree or anywhere visible from the outside, stash them away until it’s time to open them.
- Hide valuables such as jewelry in a secret spot around the house.
- Keep all car doors locked and windows closed while in or out of your car. Set your alarm or use an anti-theft device if you have one.
- If you must shop at night, park in a well-lighted area.
- Avoid parking next to vans, or cars with tinted windows.
- Park as close as you can to your destination and take notice of where you parked.
- Never leave your car unoccupied with the motor running or with children inside.
- Do not leave packages or valuables on the seat of your car. If you must leave something in the car, lock it in the trunk or put it out of sight.
- Be sure to locate your keys prior to going to your car.
- Keep a secure hold on your purse and parcels. Do not put them down or on top of the car when opening the door.
- When approaching or leaving your vehicle, be aware of your surroundings.